Am I an Addict?
If you know the answer is yes, find a meeting in your area here & come along – no appointment needed – or call the Helpline on the numbers above.
If you’re in two minds, read on:
All of us who eventually arrived at an NA Meeting had to ask ourselves this crucial question. It is perhaps the most difficult decision we have ever had to make. Maybe we could admit that we had addictive tendencies when it came to food, work and play etc, but never drugs! Denial played a great part in preventing us from answering honestly.
There is however a leaflet with a series of questions which can help: It is called “Am I an addict?” and here is part of the questionnaire:
1. Do you ever use alone?
2. Have you ever substituted one drug for another, thinking that one particular drug was the problem?
3. Have you ever manipulated or lied to a doctor to obtain prescription drugs?
4. Have you ever stolen drugs or stolen to obtain drugs?
5. Do you regularly use a drug when you wake up or when you go to bed?
6. Have you ever taken one drug to overcome the effects of another?
7. Do you avoid people or places that do not approve of you using drugs?
8. Have you ever used a drug without knowing what it was or what it would do to you?
9. Has your job or school performance ever suffered from the effects of your drug use?
10. Have you ever been arrested as a result of using drugs?
11. Have you ever lied about what or how much you use?
12. Do you put the purchase of drugs ahead of your financial responsibilities?
13. Have you ever tried to stop or control your using?
14. Have you ever been in a jail, hospital, or drug rehabilitation center because of your using?
15. Does using interfere with your sleeping or eating?
16. Does the thought of running out of drugs terrify you?
17. Do you feel it is impossible for you to live without drugs?
18. Do you ever question your own sanity?
19. Is your drug use making life at home unhappy?
20. Have you ever thought you couldn’t fit in or have a good time without drugs?
The whole leaflet is reproduced online by the World Service Office HERE.
There are other leaflets also available online: